It is normal to feel frustrated in your weight loss journey. If you have been on a calorie-restricted diet and intense exercise program for years and not reaching the desired results, do not worry. The good news is that prescription medication does work to get you to a healthy weight. Losing weight is an achievable goal with Saxenda. This injectable medication can help adults and teens lose weight and keep it off. It works by addressing your body’s natural response to weight loss.
Who Is Saxenda For?
- For adults with a BMI of 27 or higher
- For adults with obesity or a BMI of 30 or higher
- For adolescents (12 to 17 years) with a weight above 132 pounds
How Does Saxenda Work to Lose Weight?
Saxenda imitates the body’s natural hormone known as glucagon-like-peptide (GLP-1), which is responsible for regulating your hunger. Saxenda works by making you feel full faster, causing you to consume fewer calories and lose weight.
Is Saxenda Safe for Weight Loss?
The brand name Saxenda is FDA-approved for weight management, meaning it has undergone extensive clinical trials to test its safety and efficacy. It has been evaluated in thousands of test subjects who showed favorable responses to the medication. But just like any prescription medicine, Saxenda may have its side effects.
Side Effects of Saxenda
- Low blood sugar
- Stomach pain
- Pain in the injection site
These side effects may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. If they’re more severe or don’t go away, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
How to Use Saxenda
- Inspect the pen prior to use to make sure it is clear and free of particles.
- Inject Saxenda under the skin or subcutaneously once a day, with or without food.
- Injection sites should be in the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm.
- If a dose is missed, do not inject an extra dose or increase your dose.